A typical conversation:
me: "Nathan, can you wash your hands please?"
N: "I already did mom. See, they're wet!"
me: "Oh good, thanks honey."
N: "You didn't know I washed my hands already. You didn't know!"
The way Nathan says it often cracks James and I up, because the words themselves can be quite insulting, but he says it in such a sincere and innocent tone.
I'm ashamed to admit that I've taken advantage of N's new favorite phrase. The other day when I was cleaning up I put Nathan's souvenir cup in the recycling bin since we couldn't find the matching straw anymore. I was secretly hoping he wouldn't notice, but a few days later Nathan spotted it in the recycling bin and immediately yelled:
N: "Who put my cup in here?"
me: "Oh no, sorry Nathan. I didn't know you still wanted it. I didn't know!"
Nathan immediately softened up and calmed down after that, and I prevented a complete meltdown using 3 magic words.
No comments:
Post a Comment