Saturday, April 30, 2011

"I still love you."

Nathan said something a few days ago that I found especially endearing. I had made fried rice for dinner, one of his favorites. After tasting a few bites, he said:

"This is a really good dinner mommy. Sometimes I like your dinner, sometimes I don't. Even when I don't like your dinner, I still love you."

I thought that was very sweet, and probably in response to a few months ago when he had said he liked daddy's cooking better than mine. I had exaggerated a bit in feeling hurt and he probably remembered.

After a few more bites of fried rice Nathan asked me a very good question:
"When I don't like your dinner mommy, do you still love me?"
My automatic response is "Of course dear", but it really got me thinking on how children (and probably adults too) perceive love.

No comments: