Sunday, November 4, 2007

Nathan's first earthquake

Last week we had a rather significant earthquake that literally shook the house. It was 8pm on a weekday night and I was walking around the back room holding Nathan. Suddenly there was a significant rattling noise coming from the roof. It took me a split second to realize it might be an earthquake. I looked (screamed?) at James and he confirmed it too. I started panicking and wasn't sure whether to crawl under a table or go under a doorway. James yelled out doorway and the three of us huddled underneath the one between kitchen and hallway. I hugged Nathan tightly and held my hand over his little head, while James had his arms around us both. We stood there for a while making sure there were no aftershocks and there weren't any. Nathan was quiet but alert as if he knew something serious was going on. In only a few minutes the earthquake was it was reported online as a 5.5 quake. It's definitely the biggest one we've felt in the last 7 years of being in the bay area. It gave me quite a scare but we're probably more prepared for the next big one now. Good thing we had already puttied most of the valuables in the house.

No comments: