Saturday, November 24, 2007

A taste of solid food


We had a nice quiet first thanksgiving as a family of three. Chef James made a turkey (Alton Brown recipe) , cranberry sauce (with lots of port), and cornbread stuffing. Unfortunately Nathan can't eat any of it yet. Hm, I wonder what he thought of the wonderful smell of turkey being baked...
Anyway, James and I decided it was time for Nathan (now 5 months) to start on some solids. We eagerly broke open the packet of baby spoons and mixed up some rice cereal with breast milk at a 1:4 ratio, which made the cereal so diluted it was more liquid than solid.
Spoon feeding was quite interesting. I don't think Nathan realize it was food we're trying to feed him. He'd spit the cereal back out and we'd spoon it back in. After a few spoonfuls he seems to be swallowing a little more, but then quickly got frustrated and wanted out of the high chair. My estimate is out of the 1 tablespoon of cereal we tried feeding him he probably consumed 1 teaspoon and left the rest on his bib =)

No comments: